The Alliance Française de Philadelphie presents its Trolley Tour of French Philadelphia. We began these tours as part of PIFA in April 2011. Due to the popularity of these tours, we are now offering them to you throughout the entire year.
Theses tours are great for any occasion: birthday, company-wide social outing, school field trip, etc.
To register for one of our Trolley Tours, please call us at our office (215-735 5283).
You will enjoy a one hour and half tour around the city discovering all French culture present in Philadelphia.
Here are some highlights of these Trolley Tours (pictures in order below)
- the Academy of Music (architect Napoleon LeBrun).
- City Hall (French Renaissance style, modeled loosely on
Le Louvre with Calder sculptures).
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway (created by Paul Philippe Cret &
Jacques Greber in the same way as the Champ Elysees in Paris...).
- Barnes Foundation & Rodin Museum : (Collection of early 20th Century French masters unparalleled
outside France & largest collection of Rodin outside of Paris).
- Independence Hall from a new angle: discover the influence of the French Enlightenment
on the American Revolution.
- Lots of important French figures lived in Philadelphia, this tour will follow their traces and show you some houses with a French connection: you will learn a lot about your own town !
In order for a tour to run there is a minimum of 38 participants.
$25 per person. For more information, call our office 215 735 5283
French Philadelphia: The French cultural & historical presence in the Delaware Valley
Lynn Miller & Annette H. Emgarth
Photography by Emmanuel Pierre Gee
The French presence in Philadelphia has contributed treasures and beauty to the cityscape, furnishing tangible evidence of the historical and philosophical ties between France and the United States, ties that date from the birth of our nation and continue to the present day.
A gem of a book, to be treasured and referred to often, featuring:
59 color photographs and illustrations, Philadelphia neighbohood maps, extensive index guide.
Available in English or in French.