PIERRE C. FRALEY SCHOLARSHIP
The purpose of the Pierre C. Fraley Scholarship is to give students the opportunity to increase their language proficiency in French and to enrich their understanding of French culture and contemporary society. To be eligible for the Pierre C. Fraley Scholarship the applicant must meet the criteria listed below:
The Alliance Française scholarship committee will weigh need, merit and the applicant’s career plans when awarding the scholarship in the amount of $3500. Preference will be given to residents of the tri-state area (PA-NJ-DE) or to out-of area students who are matriculated at a university in the tri-state area.
After finishing the project the recipient must summit to the scholarship committee,within 30 days,proof of completion and an evaluation of the project by a superior.
In addition, the recipient is required to write a 500 word report describing the experience in France.
The applicant must submit via e-mail, unless otherwise noted:
• The application form and cover letter, format .doc, .docx or .pdf
• The applicant must submit a written essay, in French, 500 word maximum, and a 2 to 5 minutes video recording of their spoken French presenting him(her)self and describing their reason for applying, their career plans and how they intend to benefit from the program of study.
• All Applicants must submit 2 letters of recommendation. At least one of these must be from the applicant's current teacher of French. (University students: can be submitted by mail on university letterhead, or by e-mail. If e-mailed format .doc, .docx or .pdf, must be sent from professor's university e-mail address).
• University students must submit a current official transcript of grades (by US mail from the Registrar's office)
• The applicant must submit a copy of their application to a program of studies. The applicant must submit a copy of their application to that program. Receipt of the award is contingent upon acceptance to such a program. Format .pdf
• The deadline for applications to be received by the AF is February 15th and candidates will be contacted by March 15th.
The Alliance Française de Philadelphie wishes to thank the family and friends of former president, the late Pierre C. Fraley, for their generosity in establishing a scholarship program that will, in Mr. Fraley’s name, encourage, enable and promote the study of the French language and culture among deserving young people.